The International English Language Test System is the examination that will open opportunities to you beyond this country. With the IELTS, you can go to any English-communicating nation – Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States. Thus, preparing for the examination is quite important. Everybody has their own way of prepping for the IELTS, but one question remains: should you or should you not get in to a review center.
Here are the top reasons why going to a review center is worth your time and money.
1. The IELTS isn’t just a test of English competency. It is also a test of approach. To succeed in the examination, you should know how to attack the questions properly. In other words, it is as much about techniques as it is about English proficiency. Which leads us to the second reason enrolling to a review center is very helpful.
2. Review centers have exam experts. A quality review center will not let you done. They have people who will not only help you improve your English proficiency, but also to teach you the ins and outs of the examination. The IELTS is tricky; it has unspoken rues that will leave the self-reviewer confounded. IELTS experts and coaches can teach you the correct approach to answering questions.
3. Review center experts give you an excellent assessment of your Writing and Speaking skills. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know your band score for Listening and Reading subtest, but assessing your Writing and Speaking is much more complicated. The IELTS uses a rubric for scoring your written and spoken examination, something that review center experts are familiar with, so you will probably receive near-accurate band scores for your output. What is more important is that they can help you pinpoint the particular aspects you need to improve on. Studying alone would make this part of the process unnecessarily long and difficult, because this means you need to learn the rubrics of the exam as well.
4. Getting into a review program gives you value for your money. Not only do you get instructions on how to attack the examination, you also get a lot of free materials from quality review centers.
Let us do the math:
- Hiring a private tutor will cost you PHP300.00/hour. Say you need to study for 24 hours, then that is PHP7,200.00 already.
- One compilation of IELTS material will cost you roughly PHP1,500.
- That’s PHP8,700.00 already.
A typical review center would offer you an unlimited prep program for PHP5,000.00, which would include instructions from your coaches, materials, as well as a schedule that is flexible enough to accommodate even the busiest person.
Over all, investing in a review program as part of your IELTS prep is a good deal. Make sure that you look for a good review center though.